Do Tenants Require Their Own Insurance?

Landlord Insurance Best Policy

Yes, where obtainable. If a tenant occupies a buy to let property (i.e. a single house or an apartment unit in a purpose built block) they will likely be able to purchase their own home contents insurance.

However, where the tenant lives in a multi-unit converted property (e.g. house in flats / bed-sits) this may prove difficult to obtain, due to a number of reasons including fire spread and security risk within the building.

The Landlord has no obligation to protect or insure a Tenants belongings or contents, nor is it possible for her/him to do so.

Tenants should insure their own belongings / contents, where possible, which should also include the requisite liability insurance to protect their own legal liability to visitors to the property.

Find out about our landlord insurance now.